Thursday, December 11, 2008

Here's a thought

It occurred to me this morning that I think, unless I'm missing something, that my brother Joshua at Camp Maranatha, is the only person in my entire family that someone might refer to as his or her "boss." And I'm not even sure about that.
This also goes, as far as I know, for everyone on Christine's side of the family, including the Browns.
I'm not sure what, if anything, this indicates about the heritage my children are getting. Hard workers with no career ambition? Diligent people with a knack for subservience?

1 comment:

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

True though that may be, I think it's a status true of most Americans. Being a "boss" is a rare thing, ultimately. That being said, I think at different times in all of our vocational history we've been in charge of people. In fact, brother, you've been MY boss.

But my 3 brothers are all in ministry so your expectations should only be disappointed, perhaps, by me - that i've either seemed to spurn Kingdom work or that I've not prosecuted my potential or embraced my ambition. And while we don't seem to be a powerful or successful family by any social calculation, we also are not beholden or "owned" by a career or company. Very few families, I imagine, could survive their collective 20's with so much nomadic flexibility.

I hope this blooming new Tate generation will draw strength from that rather than some low self-esteem.

That - and none of us boys pay for housing. Chew on that, society.